CONTACT MIKE AT:

Monday, August 20, 2012

IN MEMORIUM: SCOTT McKENZIE




The singer of the 1960's anthem “San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair)” passed away this past weekend at the age of 73.

I had to great good fortune to be Facebook friends with Scott; when I found him on FB and sent a friend request, not only did he accept it almost immediately, but he sent a personal note welcoming me to his page and to his humor page as well.

Frequent postings from Scott demonstrated that despite an illness he was suffering he maintained a positive spirit throughout. It’s not surprising, really, because anyone who listened to “San Francisco” could hear the positiveness of his message. It was one of those songs that when it came on the radio, I stopped what I was doing to listen to it. Not many songs make me do that.

Scott lived what he sang and it showed in every posting he wrote. He couldn’t help but make you smile and maybe forget about your troubles, at least for a little while.

There will be on-line tributes about Scott and his life in the days ahead, so I’m not going to get into all that here, except to say that there seems to be a movement afoot for those who loved him to actually wear some flowers in their hair this week as a show of celebration of his life.

As I got a close haircut just yesterday and have very little hair on my head right now, the best I’d be able to do is tape some flowers to my scalp.

Don’t fret about the above joke; Scott would have found it funny.

Rest well, my friend. You have finally been healed and released. Until we meet again some sunny day…..

No comments:

Post a Comment