CONTACT MIKE AT:

Saturday, October 8, 2011

BLACKENSTEIN (ON DVD!!!)

Recently I wrote a status on my Facebook page which reads, in part: “You all know that too many times life kicks you in the teeth, throws fast curveballs. But, every once in a while, it rewards you, too. My reward? Finally finding ‘Blackenstein’ on DVD. It was…sitting there amongst those unsold copies of all the ‘Friday the 13th’ movies.”

Many moons ago I wrote on one of my blogs (don’t remember which one now) about this movie – which I’d only had at the time on a VERY bad VHS. It was one of those cheap tapes, done in the SLP mode by Xenon Video. Somehow the poor quality of the tape sort of enhanced my “enjoyment” of this film. Well that, and all the “Dolemite” previews, too.

So now we have “Blackenstein” on DVD. It’s a funny old world, isn’t it? Now I’ve just gotta find “Black the Ripper” and “Dr. Black & Mr. Hyde”. Already have the “Blacula” movies, so I’m halfway to my goal.

Not much really to say about this movie, except that it’s dumb – almost beyond measure. I’d read somewhere that American International Pictures had planned a sequel which was to be called “The Fall of the House of Blackenstein”, but since the original here layed a big ol’ egg at the box office, plans were subsequently scrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment