CONTACT MIKE AT:

Friday, February 24, 2012

BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP



At the tender age of about 14 or so, a television series premiered on NBC called BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP. It was about the wartime exploits of one Gregory “Pappy” Boyington and his “Black Sheep” Squadron. That’s not why I tuned in, though. It was because of star Robert Conrad. I’d had a fascination and admiration for Mr. Conrad since I watched him as Jim West on THE WILD, WILD WEST.

Anyway, I learned that Col. Boyington was a real character and that this series was based on real events in Boyington’s life. Followed the series faithfully and even got to see the real Pappy in a cameo role on the show.

Here, then, is the book on his life. This appears to be a first edition paperback and I have no idea where I got it.

Although I don’t believe I have read this yet, I’m going to venture to say that this really is essential to have in one’s collection if they have a keen interest – as I do – in World War II era things.

In more recent times I have seen the show pop up periodically on A&E under the name BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON.

No comments:

Post a Comment