CONTACT MIKE AT:

Thursday, May 27, 2010

THE DEATH OF THE FUHRER







Peripherally reminiscent of the film THEY SAVED HITLER’S BRAIN, this odd novel comes from the pen of one “Roland Puccetti”. I’d never heard of Mr. Puccetti before this book and am unaware of anything he might have published since then.

This book was first recommended to me by writer Jeffrey Wallmann. Another writer by the name of Bill Pronzini was writing a sequel to a study he’d done on bad book fiction called GUN IN CHEEK. For SON OF GUN IN CHEEK, Bill had a copy of THE DEATH OF THE FUHRER on hand, but had no real idea of the treasure contained therein.

Jeff asked Bill for THE DEATH OF THE FUHRER to send to me, but once Bill really found out what the book had in it, he held onto it. The copy I eventually wound up with I found on my own. SON OF GUN IN CHEEK went on to cite the most infamous scene in THE DEATH OF THE FUHRER. At the risk of “spoiling” it for you, I’m going to tell you about this scene.

The hero of our story makes his way through several adventures trying to discover the truth about Adolf Hitler’s death. In the interim, he beds a buxom lady (presumably the woman you see pictured on the cover of the book). Suddenly, as he looks into her eyes during the lovemaking process, she makes a statement confessing to being the Fuhrer! Yes, our hero is screwing Hitler! Adolf’s diabolical brain was transplanted into this woman’s head!

I’ve seen the cover for what I believe the British version of this novel. It kind of gives away this plot detail by showing a woman on the cover wearing a Hitler mustache.

I don’t remember much about the book after the sex scene, because although I knew ahead of time that this scene was coming, I was laughing too hard to recall much of what happened after that. This is why I must re-read it.

For that scene alone, this is a classic novel. Highly recommended. That is, if you can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment