CONTACT MIKE AT:

Friday, May 28, 2010

THE SIX DEGREES OF HELTER SKELTER


I’ve had an obsession with the story of the Helter Skelter murders since 1976 when I saw the two-part TV movie HELTER SKELTER with Steve Railsback as Charlie. I’ve read and seen everything I could get my hands on about the case.

During an outing a few months ago, I came across a bargain priced DVD called THE BONEYARD. It was about the crimes of Leonard Lake and Charles Ng, who had a sex slave/killing ground thing going in the California hills where Lake had a self-styled compound. I noticed as I was looking at the DVD box, that it contained an extra disc with a program called THE SIX DEGREES OF HELTER SKELTER. Of course I snatched it right up.

Hosted by Scott Michaels, who runs Dearly Departed Tours in Los Angeles, THE SIX DEGREES OF HELTER SKELTER takes you every known location in the story of Helter Skelter. Mr. Michaels shows us Music Teacher and Manson Victim Gary Hinman’s former house, we see what’s left of the Barker and Spahn Ranches, Mama Cass Elliott’s home, Dennis Wilson’s bungalow (which was being renovated at the time of filming) and, of course, the sites of the actual Tate and LaBianca murders. I learned plenty of things I never knew before.

The Tate residence was bulldozed in 1993, but Mr. Michaels takes us up the gate of the property on the anniversary of the murders. Another structure now rests on the site.

The LaBianca home still stands and we get to see that as well.

For anyone who likes true crime stuff, this is one of the most fascinating DVDs you will see. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment