CONTACT MIKE AT:

Friday, June 18, 2010

SURVIVOR


Let’s just pretend for a moment that you’ve asked me, “Mike, what is the darkest, sickest, most disturbing book you’ve ever read?” By a wide margin, my answer would be SURVIVOR.

SURVIVOR reminds me of the Nicolas Cage film, 8MM, in some small way. 8MM was about the origin of a so-called “snuff” film found amongst a dead man’s possessions. Aside from some similarities in characters from 8MM, SURVIVOR pulls out ahead of the pack here.

The book opens in 1955 and involves something wretched that a woman perpetrates on a teenage girl. With the ending of this prologue, the woman disappears from the story but comes back in a BIG way in the present day.

Just when you think things can’t get any more horrible in the story, well, guess again. “Snuff” movies are the stuff of nightmares, and this book takes an unflinching book.

Only one other person I know of, who enjoys dark stories, tried to read this book. She couldn’t finish it. I did complete it, but it was an ordeal.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment